Chocolate Sweet Potato Mousse Cake
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into cubes (approx 300g)
- 15 fresh dates, pitted and chopped
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup of almond meal, or flaxseed meal to reduce FODMAPs
- ½ cup buckwheat flour
- ¾ cup coco powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 160C.
- Steam the sweet potato in a steamer basket for 15 minutes, or in the microwave for 10 minutes – until tender. Set aside to cool (note, this can be done in advance – refrigerate until ready to use)
- Meanwhile, soak dates in boiling water for 10 minutes, then drain.
- Put all ingredients, including the sweet potato and dates, into a food processor and blend until smooth. Spoon the mixture into a lightly greased cake tin and bake for 30 minutes, or until firm (note: shallow pans will need less cooking time). This cake can be served straight from the oven, but tastes best after 60 minutes of chilling in the fridge.
(Recipe adapted from Donna Hay Fresh and Light Magazine, Issue 4)